Tests & Procedures
Approximate office time is one (1) hour.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight (NOT even a sip of water).
- Do not take morning medications until after the test.
- Bring test order form, insurance cards, drivers license, and insurance referral (if required),
- Bring a list of current medications and daily dosages.
- Wear a comfortable two-piece outfit and shoes.
- NO SMOKING two hours prior to test and remove nicotine patches the morning of your test.
An atrial septal defect (ASD) is a hole in the atrial septum (wall that separates the top two chambers of the heart). With this defect, blood flows from the left upper chamber of heart to the right upper chamber, increasing blood volume to the lungs. When the hole is small, it may have minimal effect of the heart, although when it is is large, it can lead to an enlarged and weakened heart, therefore a closure procedure may be recommended.